Volvo Car Corporation's leadership in car safety is confirmed in the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's (IIHS) 2012 Top Safety Pick award. The U.S. award recognizes vehicles that do the best job of protecting people in front, side, rollover, and rear crashes - and no less than five Volvo models - the C30, S60, S80, XC60 and XC90 - earned a Top Safety Pick.
Volvo is the only European luxury brand with five awarded models in the new IIHS report.
"The risk of being involved in an accident or being injured in one of our latest car models has been reduced with more than two thirds compared with a Volvo from the 1970s. Now, we keep on moving towards our safety vision that nobody should die or suffer serious injuries in a new Volvo car by the year 2020", says Thomas Broberg, Senior Safety Advisor at Volvo Car Corporation.
IIHS Top Safety Pick is based on four accident scenario results*:
- Frontal crashworthiness evaluations are based on results of 40mph (64km/h) frontal offset crash tests.
- Side evaluations are based on performance in a crash test in which the side of a vehicle is struck by a barrier moving at 31 mph (50 km/h). The barrier represents the front end of a pickup or SUV.
- To earn a good rating for rollover protection, the car roof must withstand a force of four times the vehicle's weight before reaching five inches of crush.
- Rear crash protection is rated using a dummy that measures forces on the neck. This test simulates a collision in which a stationary vehicle is struck in the rear at 20 mph (32 km/h).
Outstanding U.S. NCAP rating
Volvo Car Corporation's dedication to car safety has been recognized in several recent studies.
The XC60 is also the only SUV crossover with an IIHS Top Safety Pick and an overall 5 star U.S. NCAP rating. In the 2010 test, the XC60 received 5 stars in all individual crash tests, including 5 stars for the driver and 5 stars for the passenger in the frontal collision as well as 5 stars in both side tests.
Auto brake results in fewer accidents
Earlier this year, the benefits of the groundbreaking City Safety technology - featuring automatic braking in low speed situations - were documented in another IIHS report stating a reduction of the collision frequency with up to 22 percent. The IIHS study of insurance claims involving a Volvo XC60 shows that City Safety reduces the costs for personal injury claims with 51 percent - while vehicle repair costs were lowered by more than 20 percent.
A similar study by the Swedish insurance company Volvia shows that Volvo cars equipped with automatic braking are involved in 22 percent fewer rear end accidents than cars without auto brake.
Experience Volvo’s world-class safety with up to 20% savings until December 25, 2011 only. Get to know more how each Volvo is designed around you and learn more about this opportunity by visiting Volvo Makati Showroom located at 2272 Don Chino Roces Avenue or Volvo Cebu Showroom located at A.S. Fortuna Street, Banilad, Mandaue City, Cebu.
* Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Some descriptions and facts in this press material relate to Volvo Cars' international car range. Described features might be optional. Vehicle specifications may vary from one country to another and may be altered without prior notification.
In Manila, Viking Cars, Incorporated is the official distributor of Volvo cars. The Volvo Makati office, showroom and Customer Service Center are located at 2272 Chino Roces Avenue, Makati City. Volvo Cebu is located at A.S. Fortuna Street, Banilad, Mandaue City. The 2011 Volvo automobile line includes the nimble C30 Sports Coupé, the versatile All-New C70 Coupé-Convertible, the compact All-New S40 and V50 Sportswagon, the flagship All-New S80 luxury sedan, the ruggedly refined All-New XC70 Cross Country, the groundbreaking Volvo XC60 with City Safety as standard and the award-winning XC90 AWD. Now available in the Philippines is the All New Volvo S60 with world first Pedestrian Detection technology with Full Auto Brake system and the All-New Volvo V60 Sportswagon. For details and inquiries, please call 893-6621 to 22 or 637-0414 to 15.
For more information, please contact, John Eric D. Ho, Marketing Services Assistant at 892 1677; email@example.com