Volvo Apprentice Schemes - Entry Requirements
To apply for any of our apprentice schemes you should:
• Be aged 16+
• Have GCSE Grade C or above for Maths, English and Science Scottish Certificate of Education Standard 3 or above
• Be able to complete simple aptitude tests
• Have a passion for the automotive industry
• Be committed to complete a 1 to 3 year programme (depending on job role)
• Be prepared to spend time away from home during training courses at the Volvo Dealer Training & development Centre
• Be keen to learn and pursue further qualifications
Qualities you need
To be employed as an Apprentice, you’ll have to show you’re serious, committed, and aware of your responsibilities to both yourself and the Volvo Cars dealer who may employ you. You also need to be happy to work as both part of a team and as an individual, and be able to use your own initiative in putting your skills to good use.
It can be demanding, but they can also be very, very rewarding. This is especially the case if you enjoy working in a high energy and team orientated environment.
And don’t forget, while you are learning new exciting skills you will be a fully paid employee working your way up to become fully qualified in your chosen career path with your employing Volvo Cars dealer.
What’s expected of you?
You have to show dedication and a professional attitude. You will be expected to keep to normal working hours with your employer to earn your wages. You'll also need to concentrate when you are given on-the-job training. This allows you to achieve National Vocational or Vocational Competence Qualifications (NVQ or VCQ's), and you must ensure that you fill in all the relevant paperwork for this.
You’re also expected to spend time at the Volvo Dealer Training & Development Centre, usually on a residential basis, to gain Key Skills or Functional Skills, and to study for a technical certificate.
You need a lot of commitment to work all week and study on top of this. It can be hard, but it can be very rewarding. But remember, you will be with your group of apprentices so you can all work as a close team to support each other.
Benefits of the Volvo Apprentice Programmes:
• The programme is fully paid for by Volvo Cars and its dealers (No qualification, training or accommodation fees for you)
• Full time employment at an authorised Volvo dealership
• Block release training at Volvo Cars dedicated Dealer Training & Development Centre plus continual assessment at the dealership
• Working exclusively with Volvo Cars’ literature and tools
• A nationally recognised qualification after two to three years
• A very bright future with our team and much more!
When you complete an Apprenticeship with Volvo Cars, you’ll be able to show your employer that you have skills, qualifications and dedication to succeed.
There’s also the opportunity to progress on to higher level programmes, either part time or full time with your employer's help and support. This can include working towards being a Master Technician which is the highest grade of technician within the Volvo Cars dealer network or progressing into supervisory roles.
You will also have the opportunity to join professional bodies such as the IMI (Institute Motor Industry) and complete the Automotive Technician Accreditation (ATA).