Volvo Car Corporation Introduces a Mobile Application That Brings The Car Into Your Smart Phone
From now on, there is no need to leave your Volvo behind when you park it.
The latest connectivity news from Volvo Car Corporation is a mobile application that makes sure that the driver can stay in touch with the parked car via an iPhone or Android smart phone.
This means that Volvo Cars introduces the most comprehensive and broadly available application in Europe when it comes to controlling and monitoring the car from anywhere at anytime.
"We design cars around people's needs and lifestyle. Creating an intuitive and ergonomically optimised driver's environment is part of our aim to offer a feeling of relaxed control. It is only logical that you should feel in command of your vehicle, including after you have parked it," says Stefan Jacoby, President and CEO at Volvo Car Corporation.
The mobile application is another step in Volvo Cars' quest to provide Volvo owners with a superior range of connectivity possibilities - both in the car and when it's parked.
The mobile application is an extension of Volvo On Call, which originally focused on direct access to a call centre in the event of an accident or other emergency.
Now, the system has been reinvented. Owners of all new Volvo models (from model year 2012) with Volvo On Call can download the new application that opens up a range of connectivity possibilities via an iPhone or Android smart phone.
The mobile app is free and downloaded via the iPhone and Android application stores. The app is designed to offer the owner an intuitive, easy-to-use relationship with the car from a distance. Naturally, Volvo Cars has taken appropriate steps to protect the user's privacy and the security of the system.
"This is much more than a gadget. The mobile application is the first step in our connectivity strategy. We have started to build a bridge to the future - and the mobile app will be extended with a range of possibilities," says Stefan Jacoby.
Mobile app with a wide range of features
The mobile application includes a number of features:
- Car locator. The location of the car is shown on a map. There is also a digital compass that points the driver in the right direction. If necessary, the car horn and indicators can be activated to facilitate the search.
- Remote door lock. The status of all doors and windows is displayed - and the driver can lock and unlock the car with a push on the touch screen.
- Vehicle dashboard. This feature gives the driver access to a wide range of information: fuel level, remaining range to empty tank, average fuel consumption, average speed, odometer reading and trip meter reading.
- Car check. The mobile app performs a "health" check of the car, displaying information about bulbs, break fluid level, coolant level, engine oil level and engine oil pressure.
- Driving journal. Detailed data of each trip during the last 40 days can be downloaded and stored. There is also a possibility to extract the data as an Excel file - a perfect feature for company car owners.
- Vehicle information. Basic car data such as model, registration number and VIN number are stored and can be displayed.
- Theft notification. If the car alarm is triggered, the driver is alerted via the mobile app.
- This new Volvo On Call generation still includes all the safety and security aspects that are part of the first generation.
More projects in the pipeline
Volvo Cars will introduce several new connectivity features in the near future.
"The new mobile application transforms Volvo On Call from an emergency system to a useful convenience feature. It will help us boost sales of the system - and we are convinced that our ambitious plans in this connectivity field will help us attract more and more new customers in the future," says Stefan Jacoby.