- Volvo scoops Best App at the BusinessCar Fleet Technology Awards
- Three years of the awards gives three years of success for Volvo's new technology
Volvo is celebrating once more with the news that its new mobile application has been awarded Best App at the BusinessCar Fleet Technology Awards - The Techies. This is the third year the awards have taken place and it is also the third year in a row that Volvo has been awarded for its ground breaking and innovative technology.
Volvo world firsts, City Safety and Pedestrian Detection with Full Auto Brake have previously won Best Car Safety Device and this year's award highlights the continuing steps that Volvo is taking in its development and integration of technology and mobile connectivity in its cars.
The mobile app works alongside Volvo's On Call telematics technology fitted to any Volvo from Model Year 2012. On Call allows the user at a touch of a button to communicate with an operator that can provide vocal assistance and even contact and guide the emergency services to the vehicle in the event of an incident.
The new mobile app allows the user to communicate with the vehicle, no matter where they are located in the world (dependant on mobile network coverage). The app is available to download for free and is compatible with iPhone and any Android smart phone.
"We design cars around people's needs and lifestyle. Creating an intuitive and ergonomically optimised driver's environment is part of our aim to offer a feeling of relaxed control. It is only logical that you should feel in command of your vehicle, including after you have parked it," says Stefan Jacoby, President and CEO at Volvo Car Corporation.
The app allows the user to remotely communicate with the vehicle and includes the following features:
- Car locator. The location of the car is shown on a map. There is also a digital compass that points the driver in the right direction. If necessary, the car horn and indicators can be activated to facilitate the search.
- Remote door lock. The status of all doors and windows is displayed - and the driver can lock and unlock the car with a push on the touch screen.
- Vehicle dashboard. This feature gives the driver access to a wide range of information: fuel level, remaining range to empty tank, average fuel consumption, average speed, odometer reading and trip meter reading.
- Car check. The mobile app performs a "health" check of the car, displaying information about bulbs, break fluid level, coolant level, engine oil level and engine oil pressure.
- Driving journal. Detailed data of each trip during the last 40 days can be downloaded and stored. There is also a possibility to extract the data as an Excel file - a perfect feature for company car owners.
- Vehicle information. Basic car data such as model, registration number and VIN number are stored and can be displayed.
- Theft notification. If the car alarm is triggered, the driver is alerted via the mobile app.
- This new Volvo On Call generation still includes all the safety and security aspects that are part of the first generation.