Automatic car wash
An automatic car wash is a simple and quick way of washing the car, but it cannot reach everywhere. Washing the car by hand is recommended to achieve a good result, or to supplement automatic car washes with washing by hand.
Volvo recommends that the car is not washed in an automatic car wash during the first few months (this is because the paintwork has not fully hardened).
Before driving the car into an automatic car wash, deactivate the functions for automatic braking when stationary and automatic parking brake application. If these functions are not deactivated, the brake system will jam when the car is stationary and the car will not be able to move.
For car washes where the car is pulled forward with rolling wheels, the following applies:
- Before washing the car, make sure that the automatic rain sensor is deactivated, otherwise there is the risk of it starting and damaging the wiper arms.
- Make sure that the door mirrors are retracted, any auxiliary lamps secured, antennas retracted or removed, otherwise they risk being damaged by the automatic car wash.
- Drive into the car wash.
- Switch off the "Automatic braking at standstill" function using the switch on the tunnel console.
- Switch off the "Automatic parking brake application" function via the top view of the centre display.
- Switch off the engine by turning the start knob in the tunnel console clockwise. Hold the knob in place for at least 2 seconds.
The car is ready for the car wash.
The system will automatically switch to P mode unless the above step is followed. The wheels are locked in P mode, which they should not be when putting the car through an automatic car wash.