When topping up the coolant, follow the instructions on the packaging. Never top up with water only. The risk of freezing increases with both too little and too much coolant concentrate.
If there is coolant under the car, if there is coolant smoke, or if more than 2 litres (approx. 2 quarts) have been filled, always call for recovery to avoid the risk of engine damage due to a defective cooling system when attempting to start the car.
The coolant may be very hot. Never open the cap when the coolant is hot. If a top-up is required, unscrew the expansion tank cap slowly to allow any overpressure to disappear.
Coolant expansion tank.
Open the lid on the plastic cover.
Screw off the cap and top up with coolant if necessary. The coolant level must not exceed the yellow MAX mark inside the expansion tank.
Reinstall the parts in reverse order.
- Harmful if ingested. May cause organ (kidney) damage.
- Use ready-mixed coolant as recommended by Volvo. If concentrated liquid is used, make sure that the ratio is 50 % coolant to 50 % water of an approved quality.
- Do not mix different coolants.
- Only new coolant should be used when replacing major cooling system components to ensure the system has sufficient corrosion protection.
- The engine must only be run with a well-filled cooling system. Otherwise, temperatures that are too high may occur resulting in the risk of damage (cracks) in the cylinder head.
- A high content of chlorine, chlorides and other salts may cause corrosion in the cooling system.