When armed, the alarm is triggered if:
- a door, the bonnet or the boot lid is openedApplies to certain markets.
- a movement is detected in the passenger compartment (if fitted with a movement detector*)
- the car is raised or towed away (if fitted with a tilt detector*)
- the starter battery's cable is disconnected
- the siren is disconnected.
When the alarm has been triggered, the following happens:
- A siren sounds for 30 seconds or until the alarm is switched off.
- Hazard warning flashers flash for 5 minutes or until the alarm is switched off.
If the cause of alarm activation is not rectified, the alarm cycle is repeated up to 10 timesApplies to certain markets..
A red LED on the instrument panel indicates the alarm system's status:
- LED not lit – alarm not armed.
- The LED flashes once every other second – alarm is armed.
- After the alarm has been disarmed, the LED flashes rapidly for a maximum of 30 seconds or until ignition position I has been activated - the alarm has been triggered.
Movement and tilt sensors*
Movement and tilt sensors react to movements inside the car, if the window is broken or if anyone tries to steal the wheels or tow the vehicle away.
The movement sensor triggers an alarm in the event of movement in the passenger compartment - air currents are also registered. For this reason the alarm is triggered if the car is left with a window or the panoramic roof* open or if the passenger compartment heater is used.
To avoid this:
- Close the window and panoramic roof when leaving the car.
- If the passenger compartment or parking heater is to be used – direct the airflow from the air vents so that they do not point upwards in the passenger compartment.
Alternatively, use a reduced alarm level to temporarily deactivate the movement and tilt sensors.
Also switch off the movement and tilt sensors when the car is being transported on a ferry or train as these movements may affect the car and trigger the alarm.
In the event of an alarm system fault
If there is a fault in the alarm system, the driver display shows the symbol and the message Alarm system failure Service required. In which case, contact a workshop - an authorised Volvo workshop is recommended.
Do not attempt to repair or alter components in the alarm system yourself. Any such attempts may affect the terms of the insurance.