Start voice control
Applies to certain markets.
Applies to certain markets.
To give commands via the voice control system, you have a "dialogue" with the system. Depress the steering wheel button for voice recognition to activate the system and initiate a dialogue using voice commands. After you have pressed the button, a beep tone can be heard and the voice control symbol is shown in the driver display.
This shows that the system has started to listen and you can start to say the commands. As soon as you start to talk, the system is trained to recognise and understand your voice. This takes several seconds and is done automatically, which means that you do not need to start any voice training manually.
Remember the following:
- Speak after the tone with a normal voice at a normal tempo.
- Do not speak while the system is replying (the system cannot understand commands during this time).
- Avoid background noise in the passenger compartment by having the doors, windows and sunroof* closed.
Not all system languages support voice recognition. The ones that do are highlighted with the symbol in the list of available system languages. Read more about where the information can be found in the section on settings for voice recognition.
In general, the system works by listening for a basic command which is followed by more detailed commands that specify what you want the system to do.
To change the system audio volume, turn the rotary volume knob when the voice speaks. It is possible to use other buttons during voice control. However, other sounds will be silenced during dialogue with the system, which means that it is not possible to execute any functions linked with audio using the buttons.
Cancel voice control
Voice control can be cancelled in different ways:
- Tap briefly on and say "Cancel".
- Give a long press on the steering wheel button for voice control until you hear two beeps. This stops voice recognition even when the system is speaking.
Voice control is also cancelled if you do not reply during a dialogue. The system will first ask for a reply three times and if there is still no response then voice control will be cancelled automatically.
To speed up communication and skip the prompts from the system, press the steering wheel button for voice control . This cancels the system voice and you can say the next command.
Example of voice recognition control
Say "Call [Forename] [Surname] [number category]", e.g. "Call Robin Smith Mobile".
The system dials the selected contact from the phonebook. If the contact has several phone numbers (e.g. home, mobile, work), the right category must be referred to.
The following commands can generally be used, regardless of the situation:
- "Repeat" - repeats the last voice instruction in the ongoing dialogue.
- "Cancel" - discontinue the dialogue.
Note that this only stops the dialogue when the system is not speaking. To do that, give a long press on until two beep tones are heard.
- "Help" - starts a help dialogue. The system replies with the commands available in the current situation, a prompt or an example.
Commands for specific functions such as phone and radio are described in specific sections.
The number commands are stated differently depending on the function to be controlled:
- Phone numbers and postcodes must be spoken individually, number by number, e.g. "zero, three, one, two, two, four, four, three" (03122443).
- House numbers can be spoken individually or in groups, e.g. "two, two" or "twenty-two" (22). For English and Dutch, several groups can be said in sequence, e.g. "twenty-two, twenty-two" (22 22). For English, double or triple can be used, e.g. "double zero" (00). Numbers can be given within the range 0-2300.
- Frequencies can be spoken as "ninety eight point eight" (98.8), "a hundred and four point two" or "hundred four point two" (104.2).
Speed and repetition mode
It is possible to adjust the speed if the system is speaking too quickly.
Repetition mode can be enabled so that the system repeats what you have said.
To change the speed or activate/deactivate repetition mode:
Press Settings in the top view.
Pressand select settings.
- Repeat Voice Command
- Speech Rate