The map must be downloaded to an empty USB memory (64GB) in one of the following formats: FAT32, NTFS or exFAT. The required USB size depends on the map size, see detailed information for relevant map.
Map downloading is initiated using a program that is installed on your computer. This program helps to retrieve the map files and allows you to cancel and later resume the download.
Perform map update
By selecting your car and model year under the ”cars” menu option, you will access information for that car. Under the tab for software and downloads, you will find relevant updates for your navigation system. Click on the update you want to make and then follow the instructions below.
Please note the following:
- The time it takes to transfer from the USB memory to the car varies depending on the size of the map data. The update can be performed while driving. The navigation system can be used while updating a map region, but it cannot be used during the update of an entire map market, e.g. the EU. If installation is not finished when the car is switched off, the update continues the next time driving.
- The map update is paused if the Infotainment system is switched off or if the USB memory is removed before the update is complete. The update is resumed automatically when the system is switched back on or when the USB memory is reinserted.
- Please wait a moment before switching off the vehicle and pulling out the USB memory stick after the transfer is complete. This is to ensure that the map has been installed correctly.
- If you want to update your navigation system with a different map other than the one already in the system, contact your Volvo dealer to check if this is possible.
Depending on which system you have, select the download link for either Windows or Mac.
Select "Run" to install the download program.
Click on "New download" to download the map to a USB memory or to the computer's hard disk drive.
To verify that the map has been downloaded/copied correctly to the USB memory stick before installing the map in the vehicle, repeat steps 1–2 and then click "Check download" in the download program.
Take the USB memory with the downloaded map to your car and switch on the navigation system.
Insert the USB memory in the USB port. If there are two USB inputs the second one must not be used at the same time.
The location of the port may vary between different car models.
The navigation system automatically detects that an update is available and during the update the remaining time of the process is shown on-screen, given in percent.
In order for the installation to start, the following criteria must be met:
- Selected region is included on the system map. For example, only the region Scandinavia can be downloaded if the system already has a Europe map. If an entirely new map is downloaded, the previous map is overwritten.
- The version for the selected region is higher than that in the vehicle.
- Selected region is compatible with the car's software. If the update is not compatible then new software will need to be downloaded.
- Selected region is compatible with existing map. If the region is not compatible, the map must be replaced.
When switching to a different map, press Confirm to approve the change of map. To cancel, press Cancel.
When the installation is complete, a notification appears stating that the updated map will be available after the next restart. The USB memory can now be removed.
In the event of problems with the map update, contact your customer support or Volvo dealer.
During the download, it is not advisable to use the mobile connection via mobile devices/phones, or in situations where the subscription used may have a monthly download limit for the amount of GB.
Updating voice control
It is even possible to download and update the car's voice control files. For further information, see Updating voice control.
Vehicle model/model year
XC90 and XC90 Twin Engine of model year 2016 onwards
S90, V90 and V90 Cross Country of model year 2017 onwards
XC60, XC60 Twin Engine and S90 Twin Engine of model year 2018 onwards
XC40, V60, V60 Cross Country, S60 and S60 Twin Engine of model year 2019 onwards