Frequently Asked Questions regarding the Volvo Cars app
Pairing the Volvo Cars app with the vehicle
No information is shown in the mobile app after pairing
Restart the mobile app.
I cannot see door status, battery status or activate climate in the mobile app
- Restart the mobile app and make sure that the vehicle is connected to the Internet.
- If the vehicle has been parked in an area with poor coverage, the app might only function properly within the device's Bluetooth range.
- Data sharing must be activated for Volvo On Call. Start by making sure that the profile used is the administrator or Owner profile. To do this, click on the Settings icon (the one that looks like a gear wheel) and select Profiles. Then make sure that a Volvo ID is connected to the profile. To do this, click on the Settings icon (the one that looks like a gear wheel) and select Profiles>Accounts.
Adding a Volvo ID
Activating data sharing for Volvo On Call
My vehicle has just been updated with new software and I cannot see vehicle status in the app
If your vehicle was updated with new software, you need to start/drive the vehicle once to reactivate the connection to the cell phone.
The first time the vehicle is updated with software that supports the mobile app, you will need to wait 24-36 hours for the synchronization between the vehicle and the cloud to finish.
The PIN code is not shown in the vehicle's center display while pairing
Press and hold down the button for the max defroster for 20-30 seconds.
What is device management?
Device management means that you can see a list of the phones that are paired with the vehicle. A user who is administrator can also delete a paired phone.
What is the difference between administrator and non-administrator in the app?
The vehicle's Owner profile must be paired with the app before pairing can be done for any other profile.
The first user who pairs their phone with the vehicle while all keys are in the vehicle becomes the administrator.
A user who is administrator in the app can:
- see which phones or other devices are paired with the vehicle
- delete their own and other paired phones/devices from the vehicle
A user who is not administrator in the app can:
- see if their own phone/device is paired with the vehicle
- delete their own phone/device
How can I unpair a paired phone or other device?
Always use the mobile app to remove the link between the cellular phone and the vehicle.
It takes a few minutes after a phone has been unpaired for the status to synchronize in the vehicle's center display.
Deleting a user profile in the vehicle does not mean that the paired device is deleted.
You delete paired phones from the profile tab in the app. Note that iPhone users also need to go to settings in their iPhone and disconnect the phone from there as well.
Does the vehicle owner need to pair the app with the vehicle first? Or can a guest user pair first?
The owner must pair first. All keys should be in the vehicle when a phone is paired to the Owner profile or another profile with administrator rights.
The Owner profile was the only profile in the vehicle with administrator rights and I no longer have access to the phone that was paired with the Owner profile. How can I delete my cell phone from the vehicle?
Create a new profile and give the new profile administrator rights. Then pair the new profile with the new phone while all keys are inside the vehicle. You can now see the old phone in the app and it can be deleted.
Can you pair more than one mobile device to the Owner profile?
Only one device can be paired to a vehicle profile. All devices paired to a profile after a device is paired to the Owner profile become regular users. You can also make a regular user into an administrator for a vehicle profile.
A mobile device is already paired with a vehicle profile that is not an administrator. If I give administrator rights to the vehicle's user profile, will the app's user profile also become administrator?
No. If you give administrator rights to a vehicle profile that already had a phone paired, it doesn't mean that the mobile app's user profile automatically becomes administrator. When the vehicle profile is made administrator, the connection to the mobile device must be deleted. The mobile device is then paired again while all keys are in the vehicle. The mobile app's user profile will then become administrator.
Is Bluetooth required for pairing?
Yes, Bluetooth is required during pairing.
I can only use the remote functions in the mobile app when I am near the vehicle. Why is this?
The mobile app, the vehicle or both have lost connection to the cloud. If this happens, the remote functions only work within the cellular phone's Bluetooth range.
I cannot see battery status or climate functions in the app
Make sure that the active vehicle profile has a connected Volvo ID. If it doesn't, log in with your Volvo ID in the app.
I am a guest user in the vehicle and want to use the remote functions in the app, but I cannot pair my phone.
Make sure that Bluetooth is switched on in your phone. If there are other phones nearby that are paired with the vehicle, switch off Bluetooth in these phones.
Troubleshooting if the app stops working or doesn't show statuses
If you experience problems with the app not working or not showing e.g. battery status, you can try the following:
- Restart the app.
- Verify that your Volvo ID is shown in the user profile in the vehicle. If it is not shown, log in again. Note that you need to use the same Volvo ID in the vehicle and in the app.
- Make sure that data sharing is switched on for Volvo On Call.
- Make sure the phone is listed as one of the connected devices in the vehicle.
- Make sure that Bluetooth is switched on in the vehicle and that it has a good Internet connection.
- Try locking and unlocking the vehicle using a key.
- If you still experience problems with the app not working or not showing statuses, try pressing and holding down the max defroster button for 20-30 seconds.
If the above doesn't work, contact Volvo Customer Care.