Check the car's interior regularly. Wipe plastic parts and dust off the instrument panel with a soft cloth. Regularly empty bins and other storage areas to ensure that no organic substances, like food or plants, remain for a long time.
Leather upholstery is a natural product that changes, acquiring a beautiful patina over time. To retain the leather's properties and color regular cleaning and treatment is required. Volvo offers a comprehensive product, Volvo Leather Care KitWipes, for the cleaning and treatment of leather upholstery. When the product is used according the instructions, the leather's protective coating is preserved.
To achieve as good results as possible, Volvo recommends the cleaning and application of the protective cream once to four times per year (or more often if required). Volvo Leather Care Kit/Wipes are available to purchase from Volvo dealers.
Volvo Leather Care Kit is available from your Volvo dealer.
Leather covered steering wheel
Leather needs to breath. Never cover the leather covered steering wheel with plastic. Volvo recommends Leather Care Kit/Wipes to clean leather covered steering wheels.
Fabric upholstery and headlining
When you need to clean fabrics or the headlining, never scrape or rub a stain as it may damage the upholstery. Never use a stain remover if there is a risk of it staining the upholstery.
Interior plastic, metal and wood parts
To clean interior parts and surfaces, a lightly dampened split fiber cloth or microfiber cloth is recommended, available at a Volvo dealer.
Never scrape or rub a stain. Never use strong stain removers.
The safety belts
Use water and synthetic detergents. Ensure that the belt is dry before it is retracted in again.
- Some colored clothing (for example, dark jeans and suede garments) may stain the upholstery. If this occurs, it is important to clean and treat these parts of the upholstery as soon as possible.
- Never use strong solvents such as washer fluid, gasoline or white spirit to clean the interior as this can damage the upholstery as well as other interior materials.
- Never spray cleaning agent directly onto components that have electrical buttons and controls. Wipe instead with a cloth dampened with cleaning agent.
- Sharp objects and Velcro can damage the car's textile upholstery.
- Only use cleaning agent on the type of material it is intended for.
Cleaning the center display
The performance and legibility of the center display can be affected by dirt, spots and grease from fingers. Clean the screen frequently using a microfiber cloth as follows:
- Switch off the center display by a long press of the home button.
- Wipe the screen with the supplied microfiber cloth or use a different microfiber cloth of equivalent quality. The screen should be wiped with a clean and dry microfiber cloth using small circular movements. If necessary, moisten the microfiber cloth slightly with clean water.
- Activate the display with a short press of the home button.
The microfiber cloth must be free of sand and dirt when cleaning the center display.
When cleaning the center display, press against the screen gently, too much pressure can damage the screen.
Do not spray liquid or corrosive chemicals directly onto the center display. Do not use window cleaners, cleaning agents, aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia or detergents that contain abrasives.
Never use abrasive cloths, paper towels or tissue paper, as these may scratch the center display.
Mats and carpet
Remove the mats to be able to clean the carpets and mats separately. Use a vacuum cleaner to remove any dust and dirt. Each mat is secured by lugs.
Remove the mat by grasping the mat by each lug and lifting the mat straight up.
Place the mat in position by pressing it into place by each lug.
Clean the stains on the carpet, after vacuuming, with a cleaning agent recommended by a Volvo dealer.
Only use one mat in each foot well and check that the mat in the driver's foot well is secure and correctly anchored so that it does not get trapped under the pedals.
Vehicle model/model year
Vehicle models up to and including model year 2019.
For vehicle models from and including model year 2020, see the online manual for that specific model.