Important points to remember when handwashing the car
- Avoid washing the car in direct sunlight. This can cause the detergent or wax to dry and have an abrasive effect.
- Remove bird droppings from the paintwork as soon as possible. They contain substances that damage and discolour paintwork very quickly. For example, use soft paper or sponge soaked in plenty of water. An authorised Volvo workshop is recommended for the removal of any discolouration.
- Wash the underbody, including wheel housings and bumpers.
- Rinse the entire car until the dissolved dirt has been removed so as to reduce the risk of scratches from washing. Do not spray directly onto the locks.
- If necessary, use cold degreasing agent on very dirty surfaces. Note that in this case, the surfaces must not be hot from the sun.
- Wash using a sponge, car shampoo and plenty of lukewarm water. Ensure that the sponge is dirt-free. Dirt on the sponge may cause you to scratch the car during washing.
- Clean the wiper blades with a lukewarm soap solution or car shampoo.
- Dry the car using a clean, soft chamois or a water scraper. If you avoid allowing drops of water to dry in strong sunlight, you reduce the risk of water drying stains which may need to be polished out.
- After the car has been washed, tar from asphalt may remain. Use tar remover that is recommended by Volvo to get rid of the last spots.
Always have the engine cleaned by a workshop. There is a risk of fire if the engine is hot.
Dirty headlamps have impaired functionality. Clean them regularly, e.g. when refuelling.
Do not use any corrosive cleaning agents but use water and a non-scratching sponge instead. See separate section for more information.
Outside lighting such as headlamps and rear lamps may temporarily have condensation on the inside of the lens. This is normal, all exterior lighting is designed to withstand this. Condensation is normally vented out of the lamp housing when the lamp has been switched on for a time.
- Make sure that the panoramic roof* and sun visor are closed before washing the car.
- Never use polishing agent with abrasive properties on the panoramic roof.
- Never use wax on the rubber mouldings around the panoramic roof.
Remember to remove dirt from the drain holes in the doors and in the sills after washing the car.