The electrical system is single-pole and uses the chassis and engine casing as a conductor.
The starter battery is a 12 V AGM battery (Absorbed Glass Mat), designed for regenerative charging, and to support the functionality of the car's different systems.
The service life and function of the starter battery is influenced by factors such as the number of starts, discharging, driving style, driving conditions, climatic conditions etc.
- Never disconnect the starter battery when the engine is running.
- Check that the cables to the starter battery are correctly connected and properly tightened.
- The battery can generate oxyhydrogen gas, which is highly explosive. A spark can be formed if a jump lead is connected incorrectly, and this can be enough for the battery to explode.
- Do not connect the jump leads to any fuel system component or any moving part. Be careful of hot engine parts.
- The battery contains sulphuric acid, which can cause serious burns.
- If sulphuric acid comes into contact with eyes, skin or clothing, flush with large quantities of water. If acid splashes into the eyes - seek medical attention immediately.
- Never smoke near the battery.
The service life and capacity of the starter battery
The service life of the battery is affected by several factors, including factors such as the number of starts, discharging, driving style, driving conditions, climatic conditions, etc. Battery starting capacity decreases gradually with time and therefore needs to be recharged if the car is not used for a long time or when it is only driven short distances. Extreme cold further limits starting capacity. If the starter battery is discharged a large number of times, it will negatively affect the service life.
In order to maintain the starter battery in good condition, it is recommended that there is at least 15 minutes driving/week or that the battery is connected to a battery charger with automatic trickle charging. A starter battery that is kept fully charged has a maximum service life.
The starter battery is located in the cargo area.
If the starter battery is disconnected, the automatic opening and closing function must be reset to work properly. A reset must take place for pinch protection to work.
On certain models, the battery is attached with a retaining strap. Make sure the retaining strap is properly tightened.
Specifications for starter battery
Cold start capacityAccording to EN standard. - CCACold Cranking Amperes. (A)
353×175×190 mm (13.9×6.9×7.5 inches)
Volvo recommends entrusting battery replacement to an authorised Volvo workshop.
If the battery is replaced, make sure you replace it with a battery with the same size, cold starting capacity and type as the original battery (see the decal on the battery).