Only use diesel fuel from well-known producers. Never use fuel of dubious quality. Diesel fuel must fulfil the EN 590, SS 155435 or JIS K 2204 standard. Diesel engines are sensitive to contaminants in the fuel such as metals and a high volume of sulphur.
At low temperatures (lower than -0 °C) a paraffin precipitate may form in the diesel fuel, which may lead to ignition problems. The fuel qualities that are sold must be adapted for season and climate zone, but in the event of extreme weather conditions, old fuel or moving between climate zones, paraffin precipitate may occur.
The risk of condensation in the fuel tank is reduced if the tank is kept well filled. When refuelling, check that the area around the fuel filler pipe is clean. Avoid spilling fuel onto the paintwork. Wash off any spillage with detergent and water.
Diesel fuel must:
- Meet the standards EN 590, SS 155435 or JIS K 2204
- have a sulphur content not exceeding 10 mg/kg
- have a maximum of 7 vol %FAME (Fatty Acid Methyl Ester).
Diesel type fuels that must not be used:
- Special additives
- Marine diesel fuel
- Heating oil
- FAME(Fatty Acid Methyl Ester) and vegetable oil.
Diesel fuel may contain a maximum of 7% by volume of FAME, but further amounts must not be added.
These fuels do not fulfil the requirements in accordance with Volvo recommendations and generate increased wear and engine damage that is not covered by the Volvo warranty.
Once the engine has stopped due to fuel starvation, the fuel system needs a few moments to carry out a check. Do this before starting the engine, once the fuel tank has been filled with diesel:
- Insert the remote control key in the ignition switch and push it in to the end position, see Key positions.
- Press the START button without depressing the brake and/or clutch pedal.
- Wait approx. one minute.
- To start the engine: Depress the brake and/or clutch pedal and then press the START button again.
Before filling with fuel in the event of fuel shortage:
- Stop the car on as flat/level ground as possible - if the car is tilting there is a risk of air pockets in the fuel supply.
Service intervals for fuel filter
For optimum performance, it is important to follow the service intervals for fuel filter change as well as to use genuine parts developed specifically for this purpose.