The car's traditional 12 V battery is here called "starter battery" even if the hybrid battery is often used for starting the internal combustion engine.
- Never disconnect the starter battery when the engine is running.
- Check that the cables to the starter battery are correctly connected and properly tightened.
- The battery can generate oxyhydrogen gas, which is highly explosive. A spark can be formed if a jump lead is connected incorrectly, and this can be enough for the battery to explode.
- The battery contains sulphuric acid, which can cause serious burns.
- If sulphuric acid comes into contact with eyes, skin or clothing, flush with large quantities of water. If acid splashes into the eyes - seek medical attention immediately.
Only a traditional battery charger should ever be used when charging the battery.
If both the starter battery and the hybrid battery are discharged then both batteries must be charged. In such a case, charging only the hybrid battery first is not possible.
If the following instruction is not observed then the energy saving function for infotainment may be temporarily disengaged, and/or the message in the information display about the starter battery's state of charge may be temporarily inapplicable, following the connection of an external starter battery or battery charger:
- The negative battery terminal on the car's starter battery must never be used for connecting an external starter battery or battery charger - only the car chassis may be used as the grounding point.
See Jump starting with battery for a description of how the cable clamps must be attached.
The life of the battery is shortened if it becomes discharged repeatedly.
The life of the battery is affected by several factors, including driving conditions and climate. Battery starting capacity decreases gradually with time and therefore needs to be recharged if the car is not used for a longer time or when it is only driven short distances. Extreme cold further limits starting capacity.
To maintain the battery in good condition, at least 15 minutes of driving/week is recommended or that the battery is connected to a battery charger with automatic trickle charging.
A battery that is kept fully charged has a maximum service life.