Volvo is constantly developing the in-car systems and the services offered to you so that your car gives you as good an experience as possible as a Volvo customer. When the software in your car is updated you will have access to many new functions and improvements.
You can update the software in your Volvo to the latest version in connection with a service at an authorised Volvo dealer. The latest software update can give you access to new functions and improvements, as well as the improvements included with earlier software updates.
Updates from and including March 2019
- Improvement of the engine management system's optimisation.
Does not apply to the XC40 or XC40 Twin Engine.
Updates from and including November 2018
- Improvement of the transmission system's optimisation.
- Twin Engine models: The car cannot be started while the charging cable is connected.
- Update of the Spotify app. New functionality: The option to add and remove songs from the Favourites list has been introduced. Updated view of playlists with information on the lists. Improved scroll function. General bug fixes.
- Update of the Yelp app. New functionality: Option to see the number of reviews is now available. General bug fixes.
- Update of the TuneIn app. General bug fixes.
- Update of the Weather app. General bug fixes.
- The option to deactivate the tyre pressure monitoring system, TPMS, using the "Car status" app in the centre display has been reintroduced
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System.
Only applies to certain markets
- Update of adjustments of lumbar and side supports that are set and saved in a driver profile. The supports are adjusted, as before, when the door is unlocked with a key connected to the profile, with the addition that they will be adjusted again when the car is turned on to take into account the actual pressure that occurred when the driver sat down in the driver's seat.
- Driver profiles: The list of driver profiles has been updated with information in order to provide a clearer overview. If a profile has a key linked to it then this will now be printed in the list under the profile name. To make it easier to save changes to a protected driver profile, a "Save" button has been added by the active profile in the shortcuts menu for driver profiles.
- The car can be driven away when the electric parking brake is deactivated even if "Auto hold" is activated and the driver's seatbelt is not buckled.
- Voice control: General improvements and fixes, including increased performance/improved execution of POIsearches as well as correction of audio chains/command series.
Place Of Interest
Updates from and including October 2018
- Improvements of the engine control system's optimisation.
- For the XC40: Changed start value for when the tachometer changes to red from 6500 to 6000 rpm in all petrol models.
- Improvements in the Spotify app for increased quality and performance, including more efficient loading of playlists and detailed information as well as general bug fixes.
- Improvements in the TuneIn app for increased quality and performance. General bug fixes. Updated the TuneIn icon.
- New function in the Yelp app. Facility to book a table directly in the app. Automatic completion of restaurant searches introduced. General bug fixes.
Updates from and including May 2018
- The time for which the fuel tank's isolation valve is open for Twin Engine models has been extended. For more information on how the valve works on Twin Engine models, see If the tank valve is closed on the Twin Engine during refuelling.
- Update of the dimming function for the car's rearview mirrors that makes a greater difference between the different positions Light, Normal and Dark. See the manual for your car for more information on Rearview Mirror Auto Dimming.
- Privacy and data has been updated. Function to activate and deactivate data sharing in general in the car is discontinued. Activation and deactivation of data sharing is instead only selected individually for each respective connected service and for downloaded apps. To read more about Privacy and data, see Privacy and data sharing.
- Updated appearance and design of certain messages for Pilot Assist, adaptive cruise control, cruise control and speed limiter. For more information, see Updated appearance of warning messages for Pilot Assist, cruise control, adaptive cruise control and speed limiter.
- Lane assistance, (Lane Keeping Aid, LKA), updating and change to how the system works to sense if the driver has his/her hands on the steering wheel and is actively steering or not, which is a condition for the function. This can be noticed by a slight change when a warning for this appears in the driver's display, the warning sometimes occurs faster than previously and sometimes slower, with the aim of adapting better to different situations.
- Due to the new Euro NCAP requirements, the seatbelt reminder for the rear seat sounds for longer if the belt is unbuckled before the car is stationary.
- Changed position for road signs in the Head-up displaywhen the navigation system is used and guiding is inactive for certain models. The road signs are now only seen on the right if the navigation route has been activated.
Not applicable to XC40.
- For comfort reasons, Pilot Assist cannot be activated if a trailer, bicycle rack or similar is connected to the car's electrical system.
- Voice control: General improvements and fixes, including improved recognition for all languages, improved recognition directly from the start for English, German and Mandarin, as well as improvement of pronunciation for speech synthesis for Mandarin.
Updates from and including March 2018
- Updating of the driver profile view in the centre display. The Protect Profile and Connect key options have changed places and there is the option that Save current settings to the profile is only visible if Protect Profile has been selected. When Save current settings to the profile is selected, the text in the window is changed to "Saving" for a few seconds, which confirms that changes to the settings are performed. For more information on how you can protect and save changes in a driver profile, see Edit and protect driver profile.
Updates from and including November 2017
- New function, Privacy and data. Data sharing must be manually selected to activate it for connected services and downloaded apps in the car. Data sharing must be manually activated e.g. in a new car, after a factor reset, and after some workshop visits and software updates. Data sharing for connected services and apps must be activated individually for each driver profile used. Examples of services that must share data to function are Volvo On Calland message dictation. To read more about data sharing settings, see Privacy and data sharing. For more information for terms and conditions for services, see support.volvocars.com/legal.
Only applicable to VOC markets
- The option to connect to specific workshop networks in connection with visits by using the remote control key's buttons is introduced. For more information, see Data transfer between car and workshop via Wi-Fi.
- Activation/deactivation for the Collision avoidance assistance function is moved to the function view in the centre display. For more information, see Collision avoidance assistance.
- New visual function, Intellisafe safety check when starting the car. For more information, see IntelliSafe safety check when starting.
- Voice control: General improvements and fixes, including improved recognition directly from the start for US English..
Updates from and including May 2017
- Updates and enhancements in the centre display.
- Enhanced navigation searching in the Local Search in-car app.
- After updating Sensus Connect in your car, you should also update Gracenote® for as good functionality as possible. For more information on how to update Gracenote®, see Updating Gracenote®.
- Simplification of the settings in your car includes moving Park Assist Pilot from the My Car menu to function view.
- The option of dictating text messages with voice control. For more information, see Voice control of the phone.
- The Run off Mitigation function is changing name to Collision Avoid. Assistance.
- The option to select Sound or Vibration as warning for Lane Keeping Aid and Lane Departure Warning has been discontinued.
- To make things simpler, Lane Keeping Aid and Lane Departure Warning are now activated/deactivated only in function view.
- Updated audio settings view. The list of the number of options for audio settings has been shortened to improve the overview in the centre display without the need to browse between pages.
- Option to connect settings for adaptive cruise control to driver profiles.
- Optimisations have been made to improve the volume settings of the audio system at different speeds.
Updates from and including November 2016
- Android Auto will be available.
Applies to model year 2017.
- Updating of maps directly to the car via the Internet has been introduced.
- When the car is initially started, the parking brake may be released automatically without the seatbelt being fastened.
- The option of importing driver profiles to USB has been removed due to the fact that driver profile import/export is not always compatible between cars from different markets or different model years. For more information on driver profiles, see Driver profiles.
- Function for protecting driver profiles introduced. Ability to make personal and adapted settings and lock them to a driver profile. For more information, see Edit and protect driver profile.
Updates from and including May 2016
- Driver profiles added.
- New and updated apps will be available.
- Remote downloads changes name to Download Centre in the centre display's app view.
- Now you can change between Adaptive Cruise Contr. (ACC) and Cruise Control (CC) in the centre display's function view.
- For cars equipped with Clean Zone Interior Package (CZIP), the text "CLEANZONE" will be visible in the centre display's climate view.
- The SAVE drive mode is replaced with the Hold and Charge buttons the centre display's function view.
Applies to the XC90 Twin Engine
- Large Animal Detection is now included in City Safety.
Updates from and including November 2015
- Apple ® Car Play ®
Apple, CarPlay, iPhone, Siri, iOS and iPhone are registered trademarks of Apple Inc.
- Real-time traffic (RTTI) in 42 countries.
- New apps - including Pandora, Yelp, and Find Parking.
Availability varies depending on market.
- More markets with support for voice control.
- New and improved map format that gives the option for more in-depth detail.
- New filter function for free-text search for address input.
- Improved system performance and stability.
- Improved performance for voice control.
- Improved navigation functions.
- Improved performance for DAB radio.
- Modifications for a problem that may give wrong positioning in the navigation system.
- Modifications for a problem that may lead to a pop-up for seat adjustment being shown intermittently.
- Improved reception for keyless locking/unlocking.
- Improved Bluetooth performance and compatibility for certain devices.
- Modifications for a problem where WiFi-hotspot sometimes does not start.
Functionality after upgrading may vary depending on market, model, model year and options.
Car model/model year
XC90 and XC90 Twin Engine of model year 2016 onwards
S90, V90 and V90 Cross Country of model year 2017 onwards
XC40, XC60, XC60 Twin Engine, V90 Twin Engine and S90 Twin Engine of model year 2018 onwards
V60, V60 Twin Engine and V60 Cross Country of model year 2019 onwards
S60 of model year 2020 onwards
The range of models may vary depending on market.