Washing by hand
- Remove bird droppings from the paintwork as soon as possible. Bird droppings contain chemicals that affect and discolour paintwork very quickly. An authorised Volvo workshop is recommended for the removal of any discoloration.
- Hose down the underbody.
- Rinse the whole car until the loose dirt has been removed in order to reduce the risk of scratches from washing. Do not spray directly onto the locks.
- If necessary, use cold degreasing agent on very dirty surfaces. Note that the surfaces must not then be warmed up by the sun!
- Wash using a sponge, car shampoo and plenty of lukewarm water.
- Clean the wiper blades with a lukewarm soap solution or car shampoo.
- Dry the car using a clean, soft chamois or a water scraper. If you avoid allowing water droplets to dry in strong sunlight then the risk of water stains that may need to be polished away is reduced.
Dirty headlamps have impaired functionality. Clean them regularly, when refuelling for example.
Do not use any corrosive cleaning agents but use water and a non-scratching sponge instead.
Asphalt, dust and salt residue on wiper blades, as well as insects, ice etc. on the windscreen, impair the service life of wiper blades.
- Set the wiper blades to the service position, see Wiper blades.
Automatic car washes
An automatic car wash is a simple and quick way of washing the car, but it cannot reach everywhere. Handwashing the car is recommended for achieving optimum results.
When using high-pressure washing, use sweeping movements and make sure that the nozzle does not come closer than 30 cm to the surface of the car (the distance applies to all exterior parts). Do not spray directly onto the locks.
Testing the brakes
Lightly depress the brake pedal now and then when driving long distances in rain or slush. The heat from the friction causes the brake linings to warm up and dry. Do the same thing after starting in very damp or cold weather.
Exterior plastic, rubber and trim components
A special cleaning agent available from Volvo dealers is recommended for the cleaning and care of coloured plastic parts, rubber and trim components, such as glossy trim mouldings. When using such a cleaning agent the instructions must be followed carefully.
Avoid waxing and polishing on plastic and rubber.
When using degreasant on plastic and rubber, only rub with light pressure if it is necessary. Use a soft washing sponge.
Polishing glossy trim mouldings could wear away or damage the glossy surface layer.
Polishing agent that contains abrasive must not be used.
Only use rim cleaning agent recommended by Volvo.
Strong rim cleaning agents can damage the surface and cause stains on chrome-plated aluminium rims.