Cleaning the exteriorUpdated 23/07/2018
- Remove bird droppings from the paintwork as soon as possible. Bird droppings contain chemicals that affect and discolour paintwork very quickly. For example, use soft paper or sponge soaked in plenty of water. An authorised Volvo workshop is recommended for the removal of any discoloration.
- Hose down the underbody.
- Rinse the entire car until the dissolved dirt has been removed so as to reduce the risk of scratches from washing. Do not spray directly onto the locks.
- If necessary, use cold degreasing agent on very dirty surfaces. Note that in this case, the surfaces must not be hot from the sun.
- Wash using a sponge, car shampoo and plenty of lukewarm water.
- Clean the wiper blades with a lukewarm soap solution or car shampoo.
- Dry the car using a clean, soft chamois or a water scraper. If you avoid allowing drops of water to dry in strong sunlight, you reduce the risk of water drying stains which may need to be polished out.
Dirty headlamps have impaired functionality. Clean them regularly, e.g. when refuelling.
Do not use any corrosive cleaning agents but use water and a non-scratching sponge instead.
Automatic car wash
An automatic car wash is a simple and quick way of washing the car, but it cannot reach everywhere. Handwashing the car is recommended for achieving optimum results.
In car washes where the car is towed through with rolling wheels, the following applies:
The system will automatically switch to P mode unless the above step is followed. The wheels are locked in P mode, which they should not be when putting the car through an automatic car wash.
When using high-pressure washing, use sweeping movements and make sure that the nozzle does not come closer than 30 cm to the surface of the car (the distance applies to all exterior parts). Do not spray directly onto the locks.
Testing the brakes
Lightly depress the brake pedal now and then when driving long distances in rain or slush. The heat from the friction causes the brake linings to warm up and dry. Do the same thing after starting in very damp or cold weather.
Asphalt, dust and salt residue on wiper blades, as well as insects, ice etc. on the windscreen, impair the service life of wiper blades.
When cleaning, set the wiper blades in service position.
Exterior plastic, rubber and trim components
A special cleaning agent available from Volvo dealers is recommended for the cleaning and care of coloured plastic parts, rubber and trim components, e.g. glossy trim mouldings. When using such a cleaning agent the instructions must be followed carefully.
Avoid waxing and polishing on plastic and rubber.
When using degreasant on plastic and rubber, only rub with light pressure if it is necessary. Use a soft washing sponge.
Polishing glossy trim mouldings could wear away or damage the glossy surface layer.
Polishing agent that contains abrasive must not be used.
Only use rim cleaning agent recommended by Volvo.
Strong rim cleaning agents can damage the surface and cause stains on chrome-plated aluminium rims.