The starter battery is a traditional 12 V battery.
- Never disconnect the starter battery when the engine is running.
- Check that the cables to the starter battery are correctly connected and properly tightened.
The following table shows specifications for the starter battery.
Cold start capacityAccording to EN standard. - CCACold Cranking Amperes. (A)
760Automatic gearbox. The specification is dependent on the model variant. or 800Automatic gearbox. The specification is dependent on the model variant.
Size , L×W×H (mm)
278×175×190Automatic gearbox. The specification is dependent on the model variant. or 315×175×190Automatic gearbox. The specification is dependent on the model variant.
70Automatic gearbox. The specification is dependent on the model variant. or 80Automatic gearbox. The specification is dependent on the model variant.
If the starter battery is replaced, make sure you replace it with a battery with the same cold starting capacity and type as the original battery (see the label on the battery).
- The battery's container size should be consistent with the original battery's dimensions.
- The battery's height is different depending on size.
- The battery can generate oxyhydrogen gas, which is highly explosive. A spark can be formed if a jump lead is connected incorrectly, and this can be enough for the battery to explode.
- The battery contains sulphuric acid, which can cause serious burns.
- If sulphuric acid comes into contact with eyes, skin or clothing, flush with large quantities of water. If acid splashes into the eyes - seek medical attention immediately.
When charging the starter battery or the support battery, only use a modern battery charger with controlled charging voltage. Fast charging function must not be used since it may damage the battery.
If the following instruction is not observed then the energy saving function for infotainment system may be temporarily disengaged, and/or the message in the combined instrument panel's information display about the starter battery's state of charge may be temporarily inapplicable, following the connection of an external battery or battery charger:
- The negative battery terminal on the car's starter battery must never be used for connecting an external battery or battery charger - only the car chassis may be used as the grounding point.
See Jump starting for a description of how the cable clamps must be attached.
The life of the battery is shortened if it becomes discharged repeatedly.
The life of the battery is affected by several factors, including driving conditions and climate. Battery starting capacity decreases gradually with time and therefore needs to be recharged if the car is not used for a longer time or when it is only driven short distances. Extreme cold further limits starting capacity.
To maintain the battery in good condition, at least 15 minutes of driving/week is recommended or that the battery is connected to a battery charger with automatic trickle charging.
A battery that is kept fully charged has a maximum service life.