Payload depends on the car's kerb weight. The total of the weight of the passengers and all accessories, e.g. towbar, reduces the car's payload by a corresponding weight. For more detailed information, see Weights.
If the towing bracket is mounted by Volvo, then the car is delivered with the necessary equipment for driving with a trailer.
- The car's towing bracket must be of an approved type.
- If the towbar is retrofitted, check with your Volvo dealer that the car is fully equipped for driving with a trailer.
- Distribute the load on the trailer so that the weight on the towing bracket complies with the specified maximum towball load.
- Increase the tyre pressure to the recommended pressure for a full load. For information on the tyre pressure, see Tyres - approved tyre pressures.
- The engine is loaded more heavily than usual when driving with a trailer.
- Do not tow a heavy trailer when the car is brand new. Wait until it has been driven at least 1000 km.
- The brakes are loaded much more than usual on long and steep downhill slopes. Downshift to a lower gear and adjust your speed.
- For safety reasons, the maximum permitted speed for the car when coupled with a trailer should not be exceeded. Follow the regulations in force for the permitted speeds and weights.
- Maintain a low speed when driving with a trailer up long, steep ascents.
- Avoid driving with a trailer on inclines of more than 12%.
An adapter is required if the car's towing bracket has 13 pin electrics and the trailer has 7 pin electrics. Use an adapter cable approved by Volvo. Make sure the cable does not drag on the ground.
Direction indicators and brake lights on the trailer
If any of the trailer's lamps for direction indicators are broken, then the combined instrument panel's symbol for direction indicators flashes faster than normal and the information display shows the text Trailer indicator malfunction.
If any of the trailer's lamps for the brake light are broken then the Trailer brake light malfunction text is shown.
For information on Volvo's permitted trailer weights, see Towing capacity and towball load.
The stated maximum permitted trailer weights are those permitted by Volvo. National vehicle regulations can further limit trailer weights and speeds. Towbars may be certified for higher or lower towing weights than the car can actually tow.
Follow the stated recommendations for trailer weights. Otherwise, the car and trailer may be difficult to control in the event of sudden movement and braking.