If you are in an app, you can always press the round white ”Home button” in the lower left-hand corner of the centre display. This button takes you back to the view for CarPlayApple, CarPlay, iPhone, Siri, iOS and iPhone are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. and available apps.
Voice control with CarPlay
The CarPlay apps can be voice-controlled using Siri. A long press on the steering wheel button starts voice control with Siri and a short press activates the car's own voice control system.
When you have started a session with Siri and if Siri asks for more information, you can give a short press on the steering wheel button for further instructions.
Send/read out messages
Using Siri, you can write/dictate and read out messages. Messages are read out and dictated in the language you selected in the settings for Siri.
When you write/dictate messages, no text will be shown in the centre display, but the text is shown in your iOS device.
Navigation with CarPlay
You can use CarPlay to run navigation in your car's centre display via the "Maps" app installed in your iOS device. When using navigation via CarPlay, there is no guidance in the driver display or the Head-up displayHead-up display not available for the XC40 of model year 2018 onwards., but only in the centre display.
If navigation is started through CarPlay, ongoing native turn-by-turn route guidance will be ended.
- Update your iOS device with the latest version of the iOS operating system and ensure that your apps are updated.
- When you start the car, wait before tapping on the tile for CarPlay on the centre display until CarPlay is connected.
- If you experience any problems with CarPlay, disconnect your iOS device from the USB port and reconnect it via USB. As a final step, you can try closing all running apps and restarting your iOS.
- If the apps do not appear when CarPlay starts (black screen), try to minimise and expand the tile for CarPlay. For cars equipped with TV, it is not possible to listen to audio from TV media source when CarPlay is active (expanded).
- Using apps that are not compatible with CarPlay may sometimes mean that the connection between the iOS device and the car is broken. Information about which apps are supported and which iOS devices are compatible is available on the Apple website. You can also search for CarPlay in App Store to find information about apps that are compatible with CarPlay in your market.
- CarPlay only works with iOS.
Apple, CarPlay and iPhone are registered trademarks of Apple Inc.
Availability and functionality may vary depending on market.
Car model/model year
XC90 and XC90 Twin Engine of model year 2016 onwards
S90, V90 and V90 Cross Country of model year 2017 onwards
XC40, XC60, XC60 Twin Engine, V90 Twin Engine and S90 Twin Engine of model year 2018 onwards
V60, V60 Twin Engine and V60 Cross Country of model year 2019 onwards
S60 and S60 Twin Engine of model year 2020 onwards
The range of models may vary depending on market.