Maintenance of the interior
Maintenance of the interior
Using the car has an effect on its interior. Leather and fabrics undergo change and develop a patina. Using the right maintenance and cleaning you can keep the car clean and fresh for many years. Volvo has developed cleaning methods and products.
Inspect the car's interior at regular intervals. Wipe off plastic parts and dust the instrument panel with a soft cloth. Empty the waste bins and other storage spaces on a regular basis in order to ensure that nothing organic, such as food or plants, is left there for a long time.
Leather upholstery is a natural product that changes and acquires a beautiful patina over time. Regular cleaning and treatment are required in order that the properties and colours of the leather shall be preserved. Volvo offers a comprehensive product, Volvo Leather Care Kit/Wipes, for the cleaning and treatment of leather upholstery. When the product is used in accordance with the instructions, it preserves the leather's protective coating.
To achieve as good results as possible, Volvo recommends the cleaning and application of the protective cream once to four times per year (or more often if required). The Volvo Leather Care Kit/Wipes is available for purchase from a Volvo dealer.
You can find the Volvo Leather Care Kit at your dealer.
Leather steering wheel
Leather needs to breathe. Never cover the leather steering wheel with protective plastic. Volvo Leather Care Kit/Wipes is recommended for cleaning the leather steering wheel.
Fabric upholstery and ceiling upholstery
When you need to clean fabric upholstery or ceiling upholstery, never scrape or rub a stain since this may destroy the upholstery. Never use stain removers either, since this risks discolouring the upholstery.
Interior plastic, metal and wood parts
A fibrillated fibre or microfibre cloth, lightly moistened with water, is recommended for cleaning interior parts and surfaces and can be found at a Volvo dealer.
Do not scrape or rub stains. Never use strong stain removers either.
Use water and synthetic detergent. Make sure that the seatbelt is dry before allowing it to retract.
- Certain items of coloured clothing (e.g. dark jeans and suede garments) may stain the upholstery. If this occurs, it is important to clean and treat these parts of the upholstery as soon as possible.
- Never use strong solvents such as washer fluid, pure petrol or white spirit to clean the interior, since this may damage the upholstery as well as other interior materials.
- Never spray the cleaning agent directly onto components that have electrical buttons and controls. Wipe them instead using a cloth moistened with the cleaning agent.
- Sharp objects and Velcro may damage the fabric upholstery.
- Only use cleaning agents on the type of material for which they were intended.
Cleaning the centre display
The performance and legibility of the centre display can be affected by dirt, stains and grease from fingers. Clean the screen often using a microfibre cloth as follows:
- Switch off the centre display by pressing and holding the home button.
- Wipe clean the screen with the microfibre cloth supplied or a microfibre cloth of equivalent quality. The screen must be wiped with a clean and dry microfibre cloth with small circular movements. If necessary, lightly moisten the microfibre cloth with clean water.
- Activate the display with a short press on the home button.
The microfibre cloth used to clean the centre display must be free from sand and dirt.
When cleaning the centre display, press gently against the screen since hard pressure may damage the screen.
Do not spray any liquid or caustic chemicals directly on the centre display. Do not use window cleaning agent, other cleaning agents, aerosol spray, solvents, alcohol, ammonia or cleaning agent containing abrasive.
Never use abrasive cloths, paper towels or tissue paper, since they may scratch the centre display.
Inlay mats and floor mat
Remove inlaid carpets for separate cleaning of the floor carpet and the inlaid carpets. Use a vacuum cleaner to remove dust and dirt. Each inlay mat is secured with pins.
Remove the inlay mat by taking hold of it at each pin and lifting it straight up.
Fit the inlay mat in place by pressing it in at each pin.
Clean stains on the floor mat, after vacuuming, with cleaning agent recommended by a Volvo dealer.
Only use one inlaid mat at each seat, and check before setting off that the mat by the driver's seat is firmly affixed and secured in the pins so that it does not get caught adjacent to and under the pedals.
Car model/model year
Applies to all car models