Tips for improving voice control
If the voice control system does not respond as you expect, this may be due to a number of factors. Tips are listed below to improve your use of voice control.
- Make sure you are speaking the right language (system language selected) and that the language you have selected is supported by voice control. For more information, see Voice control language settings.
- Try saying ”Help”. You will then receive guidance on what is possible to say – it is possible that the system does not support the phrase that you think the system does not understand.
- Speak at a natural pace and using a normal conversational tone. Do not speak more slowly because the system does not understand you, this impairs recognition.
- Remember that in certain situations, the system has to search through a large database in order to give you the right feedback. In these situations it is more difficult to give you exactly the right response. A list of possible responses is then often shown in the car's display.
- The voice control system in your car is under continuous improvement. You can download update files yourself. For more information, see Updating voice control.
Not all system languages support voice control. The system languages that do are highlighted with the symbol in the list of available system languages. More information on which system languages are supported can be found at Voice control language settings.
How do I know what I should say?
The easiest way to find out what you can say is to press the voice control button on the steering wheel and say ”Help”. It is always possible to say ”Help”, no matter where you are in a dialogue. The exception to this is when you have to say search terms for searching in databases (e.g. if you have to enter an address or POI). The system will then search for hits on something which sounds like ”help”.
See the Owner's Manual for information on which voice control commands are available in your car.
Speed and repetition mode for voice control
If you find that voices speaking too quickly, you can change the speed in the voice control settings menu, see the instructions below.
Repeat mode can be enabled so that the system repeats what you said. When you have learnt more about how voice control works and no longer need this help, you can disable repeat mode, see the instructions below.
Change speed or enable/disable repeat mode
Press Settings in top view.
Pressand select settings.
- Repeat Voice Command
- Speech Rate
Car model/model year
XC90 and XC90 Twin Engine of model year 2016 onwards
S90, V90 and V90 Cross Country of model year 2017 onwards
XC40, XC60, XC60 Twin Engine, V90 Twin Engine and S90 Twin Engine of model year 2018 onwards
V60, V60 Twin Engine and V60 Cross Country of model year 2019 onwards
S60 and S60 Twin Engine of model year 2020 onwards
The range of models may vary depending on market.