Control the media player
Use voice recognition control to search for and play music
Using voice control, you can start media playback from connected devices, such as from a mobile phone, for example. To read about how to connect devices, see Connect your mobile phone to the car via Bluetooth.
Before the voice commands for the mobile phone's functions can be used (text message, phone calls and media player) a mobile phone must be connected to the car. For information on how to connect a mobile phone to the car, see Connect your mobile phone to the car via Bluetooth.
Using voice recognition control to listen to FM Radio.
Settings and menus in the centre display vary depending on software version.
To activate a command
Press the steering wheel button for voice control.
Say the command for the function you want to activate.
- "Play[artist]" - plays music by the selected artist.
- "Play[song title]" - plays the selected song.
- "Play[song title]from[album]" - plays the selected song from the selected album.
- "Play[radio station]" - starts the selected radio station.
- "Tune to [frequency]" - starts the selected radio frequency in the active radio band. If no radio source is active, the FM band is started as default.
- "Tune to [frequency][wavelength]" - starts the selected radio frequency in the selected radio band.
- "Radio" - starts the FM radio.
- "Radio FM" - starts the FM radio.
- "Radio AM" - starts the AM radio.
AM radio is not available for Twin Engine
- "DAB " - starts the DAB radio.
- "CD" - starts playback from a CD.
Not available for the XC40 of model year 2018 onwards.
- "USB" - starts playback from a USB.
- "iPod" - starts playback from an iPod.
- "Bluetooth" - starts playback from a media source connected via Bluetooth.
- "Similar music" - shows similar music in the playlist.
Numeric commands are entered differently depending on the function to be controlled:
Frequencies can be said as ninety eight point eight (98.8), one hundred and four point two or one hundred and four point two (104.2).
Not all system languages support voice control. The system languages that do are highlighted with the symbol in the list of available system languages. More information on which system languages are supported can be found at Voice control language settings.
The following commands can frequently be used regardless of the situation:
- "Repeat" – repeats the last voice instruction.
- "Cancel" – terminates the dialogue.
- "Help" – starts a help dialogue. The system replies with the commands available in the current situation, a prompt or an example.
Car model/model year
XC90 and XC90 Twin Engine of model year 2016 onwards
S90, V90 and V90 Cross Country of model year 2017 onwards
XC40, XC60, XC60 Twin Engine, V90 Twin Engine and S90 Twin Engine of model year 2018 onwards
V60, V60 Twin Engine and V60 Cross Country of model year 2019 onwards
S60 and S60 Twin Engine of model year 2020 onwards
The range of models may vary depending on market.