The map must be downloaded to an empty USB memory (64GB) in one of the following formats: FAT32, NTFS or exFAT. The capacity of the USB memory required depends on map size, see detailed information for each map.
Map downloads are carried out using a program that is installed on your computer. This program helps you to download the map files and allows you to interrupt the download and resume it later.
Perform the map update
By selecting your car and model year under the ”cars” menu option, you will access information for that car. Under the tab for software and downloads, you will find current updates related to your particular navigation system. Click on the update you want to carry out and then follow the instructions below.
Please note the following:
- The time it takes to transfer from the USB memory to the car varies depending on the size of the map data. The update can be performed while driving. The navigation system can be used to update a map region, but to update a whole map market, e.g. the EU, the navigation system cannot be used during the update. If installation is not finished when the car is switched off then the update continues when next driving.
- The map update is paused if the Infotainment system is switched off or if the USB memory is removed before the update is complete. The update is resumed automatically when the system is switched back on or when the USB memory is reinserted.
- Please wait a moment before switching off the car and pulling out the USB memory stick after the transfer is complete. This is to ensure that the map has been installed correctly.
- If you find that a map has not been installed correctly, you can try to first install a smaller map from another country (e.g. Israel) and then reinstall the required map.
- If you want to update your navigation system with a different map to the one already in the system, contact your Volvo dealer to check that this is possible.
Depending on which system you have, select the download link for either Windows or Mac.
Select "Run" to install the download program.
Click on "New download" to download the map to a USB memory or to the computer's hard disk drive.
You can verify that the download/copying to the USB memory stick has worked correctly before you install the map in the car by repeating steps 1-2 and then pressing on "Check download" in the download program.
Take the USB memory with the downloaded map to your car and switch on the navigation system.
Insert the USB memory in the USB port. If there are two USB inputs the second one must not be used at the same time.
The position of this port may vary depending on the car model.
The navigation system automatically detects that an update is available and during the update the screen shows how much of the process remains, counted as a percentage.
For the installation to start, the following criteria must be met:
- Selected area is included on the system's map. It is only possible to download the Scandinavia area if the system already has a Europe map. If you download a whole new map then the previous map is overwritten.
- The version for the selected area is later than the one in the car.
- Selected area is compatible with the car's software. If the update is not compatible then new software will need to be downloaded.
- Selected area is compatible with the existing map. If the area is not compatible then the map will need to be replaced.
When switching to a different map, press Confirm to approve the change of map. To cancel, press Cancel.
When the installation is complete a notification is shown advising that the updated map is available after the next restart. The USB memory can now be removed.
If there are any problems with the map update, contact your customer support or Volvo dealer.
During the download, it is not advisable to use the mobile connection via mobile devices/phones, or in situations where the subscription used may have a monthly download limit for the amount of GB.
Updating voice control
It is even possible to download and update the car's voice control files. For more information, see Updating voice control.
Car model/model year
XC90 and XC90 Twin Engine of model year 2016 onwards
S90, V90 and V90 Cross Country of model year 2017 onwards
XC40, XC60, XC60 Twin Engine, V90 Twin Engine and S90 Twin Engine of model year 2018 onwards
V60, V60 Twin Engine and V60 Cross Country of model year 2019 onwards
S60 and S60 Twin Engine of model year 2020 onwards
The range of models may vary depending on market.