The car should be washed as soon as it becomes dirty. This means that the car is easier to clean since the dirt does not attach as firmly. It also reduces the risk of scratches and keeps the car fresh. Carry out cleaning in a cleaning area with an oil separator, and use car shampoo.
The following steps are good to remember when washing the car:
- Avoid washing the car in direct sunlight. This can cause the detergent or wax to dry and have an abrasive effect.
- Remove bird droppings from the paintwork as soon as possible. They contain substances that damage and discolour paintwork very quickly. For example, use soft paper or sponge soaked in plenty of water. An authorised Volvo workshop is recommended for the removal of any discolouration.
- Wash the underbody, including wheel housings and bumpers.
- Rinse the entire car until the dissolved dirt has been removed so as to reduce the risk of scratches from washing. Do not spray directly onto the locks.
- If necessary, use cold degreasing agent on very dirty surfaces. Note that in this case, the surfaces must not be hot from the sun.
- Wash using a sponge, car shampoo and plenty of lukewarm water.
- Clean the wiper blades with a lukewarm soap solution or car shampoo.
- Dry the car using a clean, soft chamois or a water scraper. If you avoid allowing drops of water to dry in strong sunlight, you reduce the risk of water drying stains which may need to be polished out.
- After the car has been washed, tar from asphalt may remain. Use tar remover to get rid of the last spots after the car has been washed.
Always have the engine cleaned by a workshop. There is a risk of fire if the engine is hot.
Dirty headlamps have impaired functionality. Clean them regularly, e.g. when refuelling.
Do not use any corrosive cleaning agents but use water and a non-scratching sponge instead.
Outside lighting such as headlamps and rear lamps may temporarily have condensation on the inside of the lens. This is normal, all exterior lighting is designed to withstand this. Condensation is normally vented out of the lamp housing when the lamp has been switched on for a time.
- Make sure that the sunroof* and sun visor are closed before washing the car.
- Never use polishing agent with abrasive properties on the sunroof.
- Never use wax on the rubber mouldings around the sunroof.
Remember to remove dirt from the drain holes in the doors and in the sills after washing the car.