Roof load and loading on load carriers
This is in order to avoid damage to the car and in order to achieve the maximum possible safety during a journey. Volvo's load carriers are available for purchase at authorised Volvo retailers.
Carefully follow the installation instructions supplied with the carriers.
- Distribute the load evenly over the load carriers. Put the heaviest objects at the bottom.
- Check periodically that the load carriers and load are properly secured. Lash the load securely with retaining straps.
- If the load is longer than the car at the front, e.g. a canoe or kayak, fit the towing eye to its front socket and attach the bungee to this.
- The size of the area exposed to the wind, and therefore fuel consumption, increase with the size of the load.
- Drive gently. Avoid quick acceleration, heavy braking and hard cornering.
The car's centre of gravity and driving characteristics are altered by roof loads.
Follow the car's specifications with regard to weights and maximum permitted load.