The Start/Stop function is available when the engine is started and can be activated if certain conditions have been met. The driver display indicates whether the function is available, active or unavailable, see heading "Symbols in driver display" below.
All of the car's normal systems such as lighting, radio, etc. work normally, even when the engine is auto-stopped. However, some equipment may have its output temporarily reduced, e.g. the climate control system's fan speed or extremely high volume on the audio system.
The following is required for the engine to auto-stop:
- Stop the car with the foot brake and then keep your foot on the brake pedal - the engine stops automatically.
In drive mode ComfortNormal start mode. or Eco, the engine may auto-stop before the car is completely stationary.
With the Adaptive cruise or Pilot Assist function activated, the engine will autostop after approximately three seconds.
See the section "Conditions for Start/Stop function".
The following is required for the engine to auto-start:
- Release the brake pedal - the engine will autostart and you can continue driving. On an uphill gradient hill start assist (HSA) engages, which prevents the car from rolling backwards.
- When the Auto hold function is activated, auto-start is delayed until the accelerator pedal is depressed.
- When the Adaptive cruise or Pilot Assist function are activated, the engine will autostart when the accelerator pedal is depressed, or by pressing the button on the left keypad of the steering wheel.
- Maintain foot pressure on the brake pedal and depress the accelerator pedal - the engine auto-starts.
- On a downhill gradient: Release pressure on the brake pedal slightly so that the car begins to roll - the engine will auto-start after a slight speed increase.
Symbols in the driver display
With 12-inch driver display
- The text READY is shown in the tachometer when the function is available.
- A pointer in the tachometer points to READY when the function is active and the engine is auto-stopped.
- The text READY is greyed out when the function is not available.
- No text is shown when the function is deactivated.
The function is active and the engine is auto-stopped.
With 8-inch driver display
The symbol is shown in the lower edge of the speedometer.
| || |
White symbol: The function is available.
| || |
Beige symbol: The function is active and the engine is auto-stopped.
| || |
The function is not available, the conditions are not fulfilled.
No symbol is shown when the function is deactivated.
Deactivating the function
In certain situations it may be desirable to temporarily deactivate the function.
Deactivate using the Start/Stop function button in the centre display's function view. The indication in the button is switched off when the function is deactivated.
The function is deactivated until
- it is reactivated
- the drive mode is changed to Comfort or Eco
- the next time the car is started.