Using voice recognition
Start voice control1
To give commands via the voice control system, you have a "dialogue" with the system. Depress the steering wheel button for voice recognition to activate the system and initiate a dialogue using voice commands. After you have pressed the button, a beep tone can be heard and the voice control symbol is shown in the driver display.
This shows that the system has started to listen and you can start to say the commands. As soon as you start to talk, the system is trained to recognise and understand your voice. This takes several seconds and is done automatically, which means that you do not need to start any voice training manually.
- Speak after the tone with a normal voice at a normal tempo.
- Do not speak while the system is replying (the system cannot understand commands during this time).
- Avoid background noise in the passenger compartment by having the doors, windows and panoramic roof* closed.
In general, the system works by listening for a basic command which is followed by more detailed commands that specify what you want the system to do.
To change the system audio volume, turn the rotary volume knob when the voice speaks. It is possible to use other buttons during voice control. However, other sounds will be silenced during dialogue with the system, which means that it is not possible to execute any functions linked with audio using the buttons.
Cancel voice control
- Tap briefly on and say "Cancel".
- Give a long press on the steering wheel button for voice control until you hear two beeps. This stops voice recognition even when the system is speaking.
Voice control is also cancelled if you do not reply during a dialogue. The system will first ask for a reply three times and if there is still no response then voice control will be cancelled automatically.
To speed up communication and skip the prompts from the system, press the steering wheel button for voice control . This cancels the system voice and you can say the next command.
Example of voice recognition control
- "Repeat" - repeats the last voice instruction in the ongoing dialogue.
- "Cancel" - discontinue the dialogue.2
- "Help" - starts a help dialogue. The system replies with the commands available in the current situation, a prompt or an example.
Commands for specific functions such as phone and radio are described in specific sections.
- Phone numbers and postcodes must be spoken individually, number by number, e.g. "zero, three, one, two, two, four, four, three" (03122443).
- House numbers can be spoken individually or in groups, e.g. "two, two" or "twenty-two" (22). For English and Dutch, several groups can be said in sequence, e.g. "twenty-two, twenty-two" (22 22). For English, double or triple can be used, e.g. "double zero" (00). Numbers can be given within the range 0-2300.
- Frequencies can be spoken as "ninety eight point eight" (98.8), "a hundred and four point two" or "hundred four point two" (104.2).
Speed and repetition mode
It is possible to adjust the speed if the system is speaking too quickly.
Repetition mode can be enabled so that the system repeats what you have said.
To change the speed or activate/deactivate repetition mode:
Press and select settings.
- Repeat Voice Command
- Speech Rate