Preparations for a long trip
Before heading off on a driving holiday or taking any other long trip, it is important to carry out an additional check of the car's functions and equipment.
- Check that the engine is working normally and that fuel consumption is normal.
- Make sure that there are no leaks (fuel, oil or other fluid).
- Check all bulbs – adjust the headlamp angle if your car is heavily loaded.
- Check the tyre tread depth and tyre pressures. Change to winter tyres when driving to areas where there is a risk of snowy or icy road surfaces, and take snow chains with you 1.
- Make sure that your starter battery is fully charged.
- Check that your wiper blades are in good condition.
- Carrying a warning triangle is a legal requirement in certain countries.
It may also be advisable to make sure that the map data in the navigation system* is updated, and to check the regulations for loading and for travelling on a car ferry or train, if appropriate.