Coolant - level
Checking the level
The coolant level must lie between the MIN and MAX marks on the expansion tank. If the cooling system is not filled sufficiently, excessively high temperatures could occur, causing a risk of damage to the engine.
When topping up the coolant, follow the instructions on the packaging. Never top up with water only. The risk of freezing increases with both too little and too much coolant concentrate.
If there is coolant under the car, if there is coolant smoke, or if more than 2 litres have been filled, always call for recovery to avoid the risk of engine damage when starting due to a defective cooling system.
- A high content of chlorine, chlorides and other salts may cause corrosion in the cooling system.
- Always use coolant with anti-corrosion agent as recommended by Volvo.
- Ensure that the coolant mixture is 50% water and 50% coolant.
- Mix the coolant with approved quality tap water. In the event of any doubt about water quality, used ready-mixed coolant in accordance with Volvo recommendations.
- When changing coolant/replacing cooling system components, flush the cooling system clean with approved quality tap water or flush with ready-mixed coolant.
- The engine must only be run with a well-filled cooling system. Otherwise, temperatures that are too high may occur resulting in the risk of damage (cracks) in the cylinder head.
For capacities and for standards regarding water quality; see Coolant - grade and volume.