When armed, the alarm is triggered if:
If there is a fault in the alarm system, the driver display shows the symbol and the message Alarm system failure Service required. In which case, contact a workshop - an authorised Volvo workshop is recommended.
The movement sensors trigger an alarm in the event of movement in the passenger compartment - air currents are also registered. For this reason the alarm is triggered if the car is left with a window or the panoramic roof* open or if the passenger compartment heater is used.
To avoid this: Close the window/panoramic roof when leaving the car. If the car's integrated parking heater (or a portable electric heater) shall be used - direct the airflow from the air vents so that they are not pointing upwards into the passenger compartment. Alternatively, reduced alarm level can be used - see the section further down in this article.
Arming the alarm
If the car is equipped with a power-operated tailgate, the button on the underside of the tailgate can also be used to lock the car and arm the car alarm.
Deactivate the alarm
Switching off a triggered alarm
- Remember that the alarm is activated when the car is locked.
- If any of the doors are opened from the inside then the alarm is triggered.
- A siren sounds for 30 seconds or until the alarm is switched off.
- The direction indicators flash for 5 minutes or until the alarm is switched off.
If the door that activated the alarm is left open, the alarm cycle will be repeated up to 10 times3.
Lock and alarm indicator
A red LED on the instrument panel indicates the alarm system's status:
- LED not lit – alarm not armed.
- The LED flashes once every other second – alarm is armed.
- After the alarm has been disarmed, the LED flashes rapidly for up to 30 seconds or until ignition position I has been selected by turning the ignition dial to START and releasing it - the alarm has been triggered.
Reduced alarm level
Reduced guard means that the movement and tilt detectors can be temporarily deactivated.
To avoid accidental triggering of the alarm - e.g. if a dog is left in a locked car or during transport on a car train or car ferry - temporarily deactivate the movement and tilt detectors. The procedure is the same as with the temporary disengaging of the deadlocks function. This can be done from the centre display's function view by pressing Reduced guard.
For more information, see the section "Deadlocks".