Steering assistance at risk of collision
The function Collision avoidance assistance can help the driver reduce the risk of the car leaving its lane unintentionally and/or colliding with another vehicle or obstacle by actively steering the car back into its lane and/or swerving.
The function consists of these subfunctions:
- Steering assistance upon risk of run-off
- Steering assistance upon risk of head-on collision
After automatic engagement, the driver display indicates that this has occurred via a text message:
- Collision avoidance assistance Automatic intervention
- The function is supplementary driver support intended to facilitate driving and make it safer – it cannot handle all situations in all traffic, weather and road conditions.
- The driver is advised to read all sections in the Owner's Manual that relate to this function to learn about factors such as its limitations and what the driver should be aware of before using the system.
- Driver support functions are not a substitute for the driver's attention and judgement. The driver is always responsible for ensuring the car is driven in a safe manner, at the appropriate speed, with an appropriate distance to other vehicles, and in accordance with current traffic rules and regulations.
It is always the driver who decides how much the car should steer – the car can never take command.