Parking with Active parking assistance*
The PAP function measures the space and steers the car - the driver's task is to:
- keep a close watch around the car
- follow the instructions in the centre display
- change gear (reverse/forward)
- control and maintain a safe speed
- brake and stop.
- No trailer is attached to the car.
- Speed must be lower than 30 km/h (20 mph).
- A parking space is identified and measured.
- The car is reversed into the space.
- The car is positioned into the space - the system may then request that the driver changes gear.
Finding and measuring parking spaces
The function can be activated in the centre display's function view.
It can also be accessed from the camera views.
PAP searches the area for parking, displays instructions and guides the car in on its passenger side. But if required the car can also be parked on the driver's side of the street:
- Activate the direction indicator to the driver's side - then the system searches for a parking space on that side of the car instead.
Reversing in to the parking space
- Keep your hands away from the steering wheel when the PAP function is activated.
- Make sure that the steering wheel is not hindered in any way and can rotate freely.
- To achieve optimum results - wait until the steering wheel is fully turned before starting to drive backward/forward.
Positioning the car in the parking space
The function is deactivated automatically and the graphics and message show that parking is complete. It may be necessary for the driver to correct the car’s position. Only the driver can determine whether the car is properly parked.
Leaving a parking space
The Park Out function is activated in the centre display's function view.
Note the steering wheel can "spring" back when the function is completed - the driver may then need to turn the steering wheel back to the maximum steering angle in order to leave the parking space.
If PAP considers that the driver can leave the parking space without any extra manoeuvring then the function will be stopped, even if the driver may consider that the car is still in the parking space.