Lane Keeping Aid steers the car back into its lane and/or alerts the driver with vibrations in the steering wheel.
Lane Keeping Aid is active within the speed range 65–200 km/h (40–125 mph) on roads with clearly visible side lines.
On narrow roads the function may be unavailable, in which case it goes into standby mode. The function becomes available again when the road is wide enough.
- Assist activated: When the car is approaching a lane line, the function will actively steer the car back into its lane by applying a slight torque to the steering wheel.
- Warning activated: If the car is about to cross a lane line, the driver is warned by means of vibrations in the steering wheel.
There is also an option where both steering assistance and warning are activated simultaneously.
- The function is supplementary driver support intended to facilitate driving and make it safer – it cannot handle all situations in all traffic, weather and road conditions.
- The driver is advised to read all sections in the Owner's Manual that relate to this function to learn about factors such as its limitations and what the driver should be aware of before using the system.
- Driver support functions are not a substitute for the driver's attention and judgement. The driver is always responsible for ensuring the car is driven in a safe manner, at the appropriate speed, with an appropriate distance to other vehicles, and in accordance with current traffic rules and regulations.
Lane assistance does not intervene
In some situations, lane assistance allows lane lines to be crossed without intervening with either steering assistance or a warning – e.g. when using the direction indicators or if the car is allowed to cut the corners in bends.
Hands on the steering wheel
For steering assistance with lane assistance to work, the driver must have his/her hands on the steering wheel, which the system will continue to monitor.
If the driver does not keep his/her hands on the steering wheel, a warning signal is heard and a message encourages the driver to steer the car actively:
- Lane Keeping Aid Apply steering
If the driver follows the prompt to start steering, the function is set in standby mode and this message is shown:
- Lane Keeping Aid Standby until steering applied
The function will then be unavailable until the driver starts to steer the car again.