Collision warning system* - detection of pedestrians
"Collision Warning with Auto Brake and Cyclist and Pedestrian Detection" is an aid to assist the driver when there is a risk of colliding with a pedestrian, bicycle or vehicle in front that are stationary or moving in the same direction.
Optimal performance of the system requires that the system function that detects pedestrians receives as unambiguous information as possible about the contours of the body - this implies the opportunity to identify the head, arms, shoulders, legs, upper and lower body combined with a normal human pattern of movement.
If large parts of the body are not visible to the camera then the system cannot detect a pedestrian.
- In order for a pedestrian to be detected he/she must appear full-length and have a height of at least 80 cm.
- The system cannot detect a pedestrian carrying larger items.
- The camera sensor's ability to see pedestrians at dusk and dawn is limited - just like the human eye.
- The camera sensor's capacity to detect pedestrians is deactivated when driving in darkness and tunnels - even when streetlights are lit.
Collision Warning with Auto Brake & Pedestrian Detection is an assistance tool.
This function cannot detect all pedestrians in all situations and it cannot see e.g. partially obscured pedestrians, people in clothing that hides the contours of the body or pedestrians shorter than 80 cm.
- The driver is always responsible that the vehicle is driven properly and with a safety distance adapted to the speed.