Checking the level and topping up
When topping up the coolant, follow the instructions on the packaging. Never top up with water only. The risk of freezing increases with both too little and too much coolant concentrate.
Coolant can be very hot. If the coolant requires topping up when the engine is at operating temperature, unscrew the expansion tank cap slowly to gently release the overpressure.
For capacities and for standards regarding water quality; see Coolant - grade and volume.
Check the coolant regularly
The level must be between the MIN and MAX marks on the expansion tank. If the system is not filled sufficiently, high temperatures could occur, causing a risk of damage to the engine.
- A high content of chlorine, chlorides and other salts may cause corrosion in the cooling system.
- Always use coolant with anti-corrosion agent as recommended by Volvo.
- Ensure that the coolant mixture is 50% water and 50% coolant.
- Mix the coolant with approved quality tap water. In the event of any doubt about water quality, used ready-mixed coolant in accordance with Volvo recommendations.
- When changing coolant/replacing cooling system components, flush the cooling system clean with approved quality tap water or flush with ready-mixed coolant.
- The engine must only be run with a well-filled cooling system. Otherwise, temperatures that are too high may occur resulting in the risk of damage (cracks) in the cylinder head.