- Remove bird droppings from the paintwork as soon as possible. Bird droppings contain substances that affect and discolour paintwork very quickly. For example, use soft paper or sponge soaked in plenty of water. An authorised Volvo workshop is recommended for the removal of any discoloration.
- Hose down the underbody.
- Rinse the whole car until the loose dirt has been removed in order to reduce the risk of scratches from washing. Do not spray directly onto the locks.
- If necessary, use cold degreasing agent on very dirty surfaces. Note that the surfaces must not then be warmed up by the sun!
- Wash using a sponge, car shampoo and plenty of lukewarm water.
- Clean the wiper blades with a lukewarm soap solution or car shampoo.
- Dry the car using a clean, soft chamois or a water scraper. If you avoid allowing water droplets to dry in strong sunlight then the risk of water stains that may need to be polished away is reduced.
Always have the engine cleaned by a workshop. There is a risk of fire if the engine is hot.
Dirty headlamps have impaired functionality. Clean them regularly, when refuelling for example.
Do not use any corrosive cleaning agents but use water and a non-scratching sponge instead.
Outside lighting such as headlamps and rear lamps may temporarily have condensation on the inside of the lens. This is normal, all exterior lighting is designed to withstand this. Condensation is normally vented out of the lamp housing when the lamp has been switched on for a time.
Automatic car washes
An automatic car wash is a simple and quick way of washing the car, but it cannot reach everywhere. Washing the car by hand is recommended to achieve a good result, or to supplement automatic car washes with washing by hand.
The car must only be washed by hand over the first few months. This is because the paint is more delicate when it is new.
When using high-pressure washing, use sweeping movements and make sure that the nozzle does not come closer than 30 cm to the surface of the car. Do not spray directly onto the locks.
Testing the brakes
Always test the brakes after washing the car, including the parking brake, to ensure that moisture and corrosion do not attack the brake linings and reduce braking performance.
Lightly depress the brake pedal now and then when driving long distances in rain or slush. The heat from the friction causes the brake linings to warm up and dry. Do the same thing after starting in very damp or cold weather.
Asphalt, dust and salt residue on wiper blades, as well as insects, ice etc. on the windscreen, impair the service life of wiper blades.
- Set the wiper blades to the service position, see Wiper blades.
Wash the wiper blades and windscreen regularly with lukewarm soap solution or car shampoo. Do not use any strong solvents.
Exterior plastic, rubber and trim components
A special cleaning agent available from Volvo dealers is recommended for the cleaning and care of coloured plastic parts, rubber and trim components, such as glossy trim mouldings. When using such a cleaning agent the instructions must be followed carefully.
The frames around the side windows, the car's roof rails and the door frames at the windows* are produced in anodised aluminium. This means that they should only be washed using a cleaning agent with a pH value between 3.5 and 11.5. This is in order to avoid discolouration.
Parts that should be washed using a cleaning agent with a pH value between 3.5 and 11.5.
Avoid waxing and polishing on plastic and rubber.
When using degreasant on plastic and rubber, only rub with light pressure if it is necessary. Use a soft washing sponge.
Polishing glossy trim mouldings could wear away or damage the glossy surface layer.
Polishing agent that contains abrasive must not be used.
Avoid washing the car with cleaning agent with a pH value lower than 3.5 or higher than 11.5. This may result in discolouration of anodised aluminium parts such as roof rack and around the side windows.
Never use metal polishing agent on anodised aluminium parts, this can result in discolouration and destroy the surface treatment.
Only use rim cleaning agent recommended by Volvo.
After washing, discolouration at the base of the spokes may remain due to metal dust from the brake discs attaching in the wheel rim's paint. Paint cleaner works in many cases, with very fine polishing using a soft cloth.
Strong rim cleaning agents can damage the surface and cause stains on chrome-plated aluminium rims.