Only use petrol from well-known producers. Never use fuel of dubious quality. The petrol must fulfil the EN 228 standard.
Identifier for petrol
The identifierIn accordance with CEN standard prEN16942. is located on the inside of the fuel filler flap, and will soon (within two years) be on corresponding fuel pumps and their nozzles at filling stations throughout Europe.
These are the identifiers that apply for current standard fuels in Europe. Petrol with the following identifiers may be used in cars with petrol engine:
E5 is a petrol with maximum 2.7 % oxygen and maximum 5 volume % ethanol.
E10 is a petrol with maximum 3.7 % oxygen and maximum 10 volume % ethanol.
- Fuel that contains up to 10 percent by volume ethanol is permitted.
- EN 228 E10 petrol (max 10 percent by volume ethanol) is approved for use.
- Ethanol higher than E10 (max. 10 percent by volume ethanol) is not permitted, e.g. E85 is not permitted.
- 95 RON can be used for normal driving.
- 98 RON is recommended for optimum performance and minimum fuel consumption.
When driving in temperatures above +38 °C, fuel with the highest possible octane rating is recommended for optimum performance and fuel economy.
- Use only unleaded petrol to avoid damaging the catalytic converter.
- Fuel containing metallic additives must not be used.
- Do not use any additives which have not been recommended by Volvo.