This is in order to avoid damage to the car and in order to achieve the maximum possible safety during a journey. Volvo's bicycle racks are available for purchase at authorised Volvo dealers.
Carefully follow the instructions enclosed with the bicycle rack.
- Bicycle rack including load must weigh a maximum of 75 kg (165 pounds).
- The bicycle rack may be designed for a maximum of three bicycles.
Incorrect use of the bicycle rack may cause damage to the towbar and car.
The bicycle rack can loosen from the towbar if it
- is incorrectly fitted on the towball
- is overloaded, see the bicycle rack's instructions for maximum load weight
- is used for carrying something other than bicycles.
The car's driving characteristics are affected when a bicycle rack is fitted on the towbar. For example, due to:
- increased weight
- reduced acceleration capacity
- reduced ground clearance
- changed braking capacity.
Recommendations for loading bicycles on the bicycle rack
The larger the distance between the load's centre of gravity and the towball, the greater the load on the towbar.
Load according to the following recommendations:
- Fit the heaviest bicycle furthest in, closest to the car.
- Keep the load symmetrical and as close to the centre of the car as possible, e.g. by loading the bicycles facing alternately if several bicycles are loaded.
- Remove loose objects from the bicycle for transportation, e.g. bicycle basket, battery, child seat. Partly to reduce the load on the towbar and bicycle rack, and partly to reduce the wind resistance, which affects fuel consumption.
- Do not use protective covers on the bicycles. This may affect manoeuvrability, impair visibility and increase fuel consumption. It may also lead to an increased load on the towbar.